About me section


Hi, my name is Paul, I’m 26 and I have CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demylinating Polyneuropathy). This blog will try to document my symptoms, progression and treatment from start to finish, along with my frequent encounters with the NHS in both West Yorkshire and south Wales. This blog is an attempt to keep you and more importantly me entertained on this ongoing, ruddy bumpy, uncomfortable and often frustrating journey.

 photo me_mid_3_peaks-1.jpg

This is me. Mid way through the Yorkshire 3 peaks in July 2012. 13 miles down, 13 more to go! (Not at all demoralised)

I can honestly say, my feet have never ached so much in my entire life! But from this I hope you can tell I was just like everyone else; reasonably fit, happy, quite outdoorsy and a keen angler (A link to my other blog Paul on Coarse Fishing can be found here). Now, I’m considerably less fit, still happy (with a few moody bouts), generally house bound (unless I break the Zimmer out) and it’s been well over a year since I’ve wet a line. If you’ve read this far you’re probably either aware of what CIDP is or are thinking “what on earth is this guy on about?” If either of those are the case, you’re committed, and I’m about to begin the story from the beginning...

2 July 2013

Monday Morning follow up!

So Monday morning came around and although still shaken up by the weekend’s events, I went back to Robin Lane where I was seen in the emergency care walk in clinic (a brilliant idea) by Dr. S. DeMowbrary. Regaling her with the story of what happened on the weekend she showed obvious signs of concern and asked what I wanted to do. I said ideally (and from what I’ve read) an MRI would certainly rule out any disk herniations, or more specifically spinal lesions associated with MS. Seeing that I was still unstable on my feet and finding it difficult to stand on my tip toes, jump or jog, she requested an urgent MRI to try and advance my situation.

The next day the phone call came. I was to be seen the following day, first thing. For those who have never had an MRI, I can imagine it could be quite unpleasant, especially if you are claustrophobic. But I just found the whole thing a bit noisy. I just closed my eyes and listened to the intermittent radio noises coming through the headphones. I was slightly discouraged when I was told that the results could take up to a week to come back, but still it was done, and before long I was making my way to work whilst treating myself to a McDonalds breakfast for being brave (I’m still a child inside).

The Googling however continued, and I became sufficiently clued up on types of MRI and what they can and can’t see, further fuelling my health worries. Very surprisingly, I had the result just the next day! All clear! Yippee! I did quickly discuss my new found need to search everything to the dismay and concern of the Dr. I was advised to stay well away from any unnecessary searches for my own sake and leave it to the professionals. The trouble with having such an inquisitive mind is I had already searched the pro’s an con’s of MRI’s, and how they are not as definitive as Lumbar Punctures, which was something else I had read about and reignited my aversion to anything needle shaped.
So once again my results came back clear and I didn’t know where to go, even the Dr asked me “So what do you want to do now?” My reply “Get better...”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment