About me section


Hi, my name is Paul, I’m 26 and I have CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demylinating Polyneuropathy). This blog will try to document my symptoms, progression and treatment from start to finish, along with my frequent encounters with the NHS in both West Yorkshire and south Wales. This blog is an attempt to keep you and more importantly me entertained on this ongoing, ruddy bumpy, uncomfortable and often frustrating journey.

 photo me_mid_3_peaks-1.jpg

This is me. Mid way through the Yorkshire 3 peaks in July 2012. 13 miles down, 13 more to go! (Not at all demoralised)

I can honestly say, my feet have never ached so much in my entire life! But from this I hope you can tell I was just like everyone else; reasonably fit, happy, quite outdoorsy and a keen angler (A link to my other blog Paul on Coarse Fishing can be found here). Now, I’m considerably less fit, still happy (with a few moody bouts), generally house bound (unless I break the Zimmer out) and it’s been well over a year since I’ve wet a line. If you’ve read this far you’re probably either aware of what CIDP is or are thinking “what on earth is this guy on about?” If either of those are the case, you’re committed, and I’m about to begin the story from the beginning...

2 July 2013

Lets get high!

If you’ve read my earlier posts, you’ll be well aware that I am an avid Googler, and yes I Googled Citalopram after being prescribed it for anxiety. Having never been part of the social drug taking scene as a teenager (aside from the obvious teenage hangovers), I have no real experience of getting high.

So as the Dr suggested, I popped my first pill the next day with breakfast and waited to see what affects (if any) would be felt. Working in marketing I am frequently involved in quite difficult and often high-pressured meetings about revenue, USP’s and attracting new audiences, most of which are on some level, unpleasant. Today that was not the case.

I began feeling the effects after 30 minutes, and it was one of the most surreal experiences of my life - being in work, and quite literally feeling drugged up. A few days after this happened I explained to a colleague about my departure to “la-la” land. He laughed and said I did seem overly happy that day. I have very little recollection of the meetings I went into, what was said or what I had for lunch, and before I knew it, it was home time. Finally “sober”, and coming down the fuzzy wave that the initial blast of Citalopram gives you. I quickly decided to take these pills at a more appropriate time. If I was going to act like a moose, best do it at night in the comfort of my own home.

So the next day I took it in the evening. The fuzziness returned but not quite with as much fervour and after a couple of days I was back to sleeping quite regularly. The longest lasting side effect that I felt was slight nausea, which lingered for about 10 days, and only after long periods without food (4 hours). The one drawback of taking these pills is that everything feels slightly numb emotionally. There are also silly things like, my imagination had been dulled down, my mind didn’t wander (which admittedly meant less Googling) and I had a general feeling of not caring. It was as if everything was a bit of an effort, which I also found frustrating, but when you are on Citalopram the frustration does not last long! As the Dr said, it “takes the edge off”. That it does!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment