About me section


Hi, my name is Paul, I’m 26 and I have CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demylinating Polyneuropathy). This blog will try to document my symptoms, progression and treatment from start to finish, along with my frequent encounters with the NHS in both West Yorkshire and south Wales. This blog is an attempt to keep you and more importantly me entertained on this ongoing, ruddy bumpy, uncomfortable and often frustrating journey.

 photo me_mid_3_peaks-1.jpg

This is me. Mid way through the Yorkshire 3 peaks in July 2012. 13 miles down, 13 more to go! (Not at all demoralised)

I can honestly say, my feet have never ached so much in my entire life! But from this I hope you can tell I was just like everyone else; reasonably fit, happy, quite outdoorsy and a keen angler (A link to my other blog Paul on Coarse Fishing can be found here). Now, I’m considerably less fit, still happy (with a few moody bouts), generally house bound (unless I break the Zimmer out) and it’s been well over a year since I’ve wet a line. If you’ve read this far you’re probably either aware of what CIDP is or are thinking “what on earth is this guy on about?” If either of those are the case, you’re committed, and I’m about to begin the story from the beginning...

24 June 2013

Wales v England

The symptoms in my hands and legs continued steadily until an unfortunate peak on the 16th of March. This date is remembered for a number of reasons, firstly - Wales defeating England in the 6 Nations Rugby tournament to seal the championship – WIN; secondly - because after walking 250 meters after watching the match I collapsed – FAIL.



Now, I’ve never collapsed before so the whole experience was a bit nightmarish for me. But I remember walking more and more flat footedly, having pain in the soles of my feet and my calf muscles aching horribly. I think I should have recognised that there was a serious issue when I began to panic about not being able to pick up the pace when walking. This episode culminated in my stepping off a curb, and my legs completed buckled. On struggling to get upright again I fell once more. Unable to support my own weight I received a cut foot, sprained wrist and several wonderfully painful bruises for my troubles. The one saving grace to this fall was that it happened right outside Leeds General Infirmary (LGI) A&E, so that’s where I was heading.

With the assistance of a friend (thanks Tom) and my partner (thanks Rach), we made it into A & E where I took a wheeled seat with some Saturday night drunkards feeling incredibly embarrassed about the whole situation. A short while later I was being examined by another consultant who tested my reflexes, balance and strength. I was now able to stand again under my own steam, which was an obvious improvement. But I was still reeling from that fact that 20 minutes ago I was on the floor. Again, aside from the obvious grip deficiencies, there was nothing that was immediately obvious, but I was going to be referred to Neurology as an Out-Patient to receive a thorough evaluation. I was told I am an “interesting case” – oh great, well that’s something; and the doctor enquired as to whether I minded him following my progress using the hospital system – Fill your boots! As long as I get fixed. In the mean time I should report to my local Dr’s on Monday morning for a check up.

No comments:

Post a Comment