About me section


Hi, my name is Paul, I’m 26 and I have CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demylinating Polyneuropathy). This blog will try to document my symptoms, progression and treatment from start to finish, along with my frequent encounters with the NHS in both West Yorkshire and south Wales. This blog is an attempt to keep you and more importantly me entertained on this ongoing, ruddy bumpy, uncomfortable and often frustrating journey.

 photo me_mid_3_peaks-1.jpg

This is me. Mid way through the Yorkshire 3 peaks in July 2012. 13 miles down, 13 more to go! (Not at all demoralised)

I can honestly say, my feet have never ached so much in my entire life! But from this I hope you can tell I was just like everyone else; reasonably fit, happy, quite outdoorsy and a keen angler (A link to my other blog Paul on Coarse Fishing can be found here). Now, I’m considerably less fit, still happy (with a few moody bouts), generally house bound (unless I break the Zimmer out) and it’s been well over a year since I’ve wet a line. If you’ve read this far you’re probably either aware of what CIDP is or are thinking “what on earth is this guy on about?” If either of those are the case, you’re committed, and I’m about to begin the story from the beginning...

20 June 2013

The Beginning


The end of December 2012 saw the onset of my initial symptoms, which began with a very faint numbness in my fingers. Not a pins and needles sensation but a buzzing feeling in each of my fingers, as well as a progressive weakness with my grip, but fortunately no sensory loss. I didn’t think anything of it for some time...


Having spoken to a number of friends, who at some point or another experienced mild nerve damage/trauma (woken up with pins and needles, or fallen and had prolonged numbness or an unusual sensation in the affected area) I soldiered on, assuming that time would fix me up and went about my business. Unfortunately time did not heal that wound and after the numbness had spread to my thumbs in mid February I decided that it was time to go and see the GP for some advice.  Always sceptical of Doctors, having had a “ropey” experience with one in my local town where I was told “how can I diagnose you if I can’t see what’s wrong?” (Dr Ali, Oakfield Street Surgery, Ystrad Mynach), I registered at Robin Lane Medical Centre, Pudsey. From the offset I must say I cannot praise this practice highly enough.

My appointment was with Dr N. Hambridge who witnessed my diminished grip and listened to my concerns about my tingling hands and decided it would be best if I underwent a Nerve Conduction Study (NCS, not to be confused with an EMG) and a series of blood tests which would help rule out any other and more unexpected problems. She suspected that I had Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, a compression of the ulnar nerve usually at the elbow, as I used to frequently lean on my elbows at my desk and that I shouldn’t worry. The tests should make everything clear. Although slightly disappointed with the wait before the NCS which would be carried out at Leeds General Infirmary (LGI) some 2 months later, I left feeling more reassured and equipped with some paperwork on Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. I was glad that I’d been looked at; at least the ball was rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment