About me section


Hi, my name is Paul, I’m 26 and I have CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demylinating Polyneuropathy). This blog will try to document my symptoms, progression and treatment from start to finish, along with my frequent encounters with the NHS in both West Yorkshire and south Wales. This blog is an attempt to keep you and more importantly me entertained on this ongoing, ruddy bumpy, uncomfortable and often frustrating journey.

 photo me_mid_3_peaks-1.jpg

This is me. Mid way through the Yorkshire 3 peaks in July 2012. 13 miles down, 13 more to go! (Not at all demoralised)

I can honestly say, my feet have never ached so much in my entire life! But from this I hope you can tell I was just like everyone else; reasonably fit, happy, quite outdoorsy and a keen angler (A link to my other blog Paul on Coarse Fishing can be found here). Now, I’m considerably less fit, still happy (with a few moody bouts), generally house bound (unless I break the Zimmer out) and it’s been well over a year since I’ve wet a line. If you’ve read this far you’re probably either aware of what CIDP is or are thinking “what on earth is this guy on about?” If either of those are the case, you’re committed, and I’m about to begin the story from the beginning...

9 September 2013

Starting treatment – They hear me rattlin’ they hatin’



The evening after seeing Dr Dunn I visited the pharmacy to collect my prescription. The pharmacist looked at me and my partner in horror when she saw how much I would be taking. She actually proceeded to warn me that this quantity of the immuno-suppressive drugs would seriously lower my immune system. That was the point. 

13 a day and 14 on a Monday. Lucky me!


What was funny was the quantity I required cleaned ASDA’s pharmacy out of the drug. I was to call back the following day pending a delivery to top up my supplies for the months prescription. My discussion earlier in the day with Dr Dunn meant I was aware of any side effects that the Prednisilone would present as and was happy to proceed. For the next 3 months I would effectively rattle when I walk! But what was a rattle when previously I had been struggling to walk in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment